It's time for summer camp!
Our purpose has always been to provide a safe, supported and fun camp experience for children, teens and young adults with an autism spectrum disorder. We wanted a name that better reflected this goal. Each year families and campers ask to come back for the second week of camp, or why can't camp be all summer and we are all sad the last day knowing it's a full year before we can come again. So, Camp WANNAGOAGAIN! was born. We promise to pack each week with supported fun camp activities and memory makers so we are all saying I wanna go again to Camp WANNAGOAGAIN each day!
Camp is located at the Boy Scouts of America Buck Hill Scout Reservation, a wooded rustic campsite complete with a lake, themed buildings and areas (Ships, Old West, and Castle) and a swimming pool.
Camp WANNAGOAGAIN! is a two-week summer camp program for children with an autism, Asperger Syndrome or related communication disorder. Designed to provide a chance for real life experiences and learning new leisure skills while meeting new friends, our camp program offers a safe and fun environment that includes the following:
- Visual supports that enhance language comprehension and prediction
- Low camper-to-counselor ratio
- Trained, highly skilled staff
- Sensory-based activities that enhance a camper’s ability to take advantage of language and communication opportunities
- Structured teaching methods
- Relaxation techniques that enhance self-regulation
- Daily living routines are incorporated into camp activities as appropriate
- Staff and program content that supports play skills, social skills and participation in group activities
- Camp facilities (such as the pool and nature trails) offer gross motor activities that satisfy sensory needs and encourage communication
- Traditional camp activities like swimming, arts and crafts, and nature walks.
Get an inside look into our camp. Thanks to Joseph Hutnak, Editor, Johnston PATCH for the video.
Thank you to our 2017 Camp WannaGoAgain! sponsors!